Thursday 8 March 2007

It's unique and I love it..

Something i read recently, and would like to share with all my friends...and it's good to put in my blog too.

I don't see what's so wrong with our rojak-ed language - Manglish. I mean, as long as our English is fine, then speaking this (very cool) language is fine as well.

Of course, for official matters and in formal situations, we'll need to skip it, but do you really think it's necessary and important to be speaking all "proper English" when you're having casual chat sessions with your friends?

Well, some might say that speaking it properly would help in perfecting our grasp of the language, but if you're afraid of the standard of English deteriorating, I think it's the SMS 'language' you should be more worried about. It's the silent English killer.

Now, back to my original point - Manglish. I think it has (dare I say it?) character. It's a mix-up of English, Malay, Chinese (and its different dialects), Tamil, etc. It kind of reflects our multi-racial culture, don't you think?

And let's just say we have two Malaysian studying overseas. They meet. They become friends. And soon after, they find out that they're both from here, chances are they'll start declaring their longing for our (very addictive) local food with the occasional lahs and weis punctuating their conversation.

It's different, it's unique, it's Malaysian.

No comments: